Origin of Rabanadas
Rabanadas is a wheat bread sweet (Gingerbread form baguette or other) into slices that after wet in milk, wine (Minho is used red green or white wine) or sugar syrup, they are passed by eggs and chips.
The golden slices are part of many consoada the tables in Portugal, and several suppers in Brazil. Serve sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or sprinkled with sugar syrup, maple syrup or honey. Once, the word “toast” was only used north of the Mondego river and the same sweet-was attributed, from the south of that river, the name of slice-golden, or slice-of-calved. Other countries are typical in the Spanish celebrations of Lent and Holy Week and in various parts of Mexico, such as Zacatecas.
History of Rabanadas
The golden slices is documented in the fifteenth century, quoted by Juan del Encina: “honey and many eggs to french toast ‘to look like dish indicated to recover from childbirth.
The first recipes date back to the book of Domingo Hernandez Maceras kitchen (1607) and “cozina Art, pastelería, vizcochería conservería y” Francisco Martínez Motino (1611). The french toast was, in the early twentieth century, very common in the taverns of Madrid and served with wine jars “Razos”).
The association of French toast for Lent should be perhaps the need to take the bread, which at the time did not eat meat, it was so consumed less, still being produced the same amount.
- Buy bread at the bakery about 2 or 3 days before the sweet. On the day the bread slice with a thickness of about 1 cm a1,5 slice. Eliminate the corners.
- As you do this put the heat the milk with the lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Let boil and delete. To reserve.
- Place a container with at least 3 fingers to warm oil.
- Prepare four soup plates, to organize the "chain process." In the first place the milk already warm. In the second the beaten eggs. In the third absorbent paper. In the fourth sugar and cinnamon (enough).
- Now just throw hand to work. When the oil is hot (not too hot) pass slice to slice the milk. Leave to soak for about 5 seconds on both sides. Skip then the egg, also on both sides and carefully place in oil. Leave browning on both sides. When the "point" remove and place on absorbent paper (you may want to go changing regularly). After well drained pass the sugar and cinnamon, not forgetting the sides of the bread. Fry pairs.
0 comments on “Golden slices (Rabanadas)” Add yours →